Vietnamese Beef and Rice Noodles
Vietnamese Beef with Rice Noodles – serves 4
200g dried vermicelli rice noodles (the thin ones)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 stalks lemongrass
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
3 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped (save some to garnish)
500g 5% fat beef mince (vegan mince can be used)
3 tablespoons light soy sauce (can be replaced with GF soy or Tamari)
1 tablespoon fish sauce (omit for vegetarians)
Juice of 3 limes
1 tablespoon honey
2 carrots, peeled
Small bunch mint leaves
Small bunch basil leaves
50g salted cashews or peanuts, finely chopped
Crispy onions (optional) (You can get these in most Supermarkets or some butchers stock
Knife & chopping board
Large bowl (or pot will do)
Large frying pan or wok
1. Trim & finely chop the lemongrass.
2. Put the noodles into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to sit for 5
minutes and then drain.
3. Heat the toasted sesame oil in a wok or a large frying pan. Add the red onion,
lemongrass, garlic and red chillies and stir for a minute.
4. Add the beef and mix well and cook the beef for about 10 minutes until browned.
5. Meanwhile mix the soy, fish sauce, lime juice and honey together.
6. Then chop the carrots to small batons.
7. Once the beef is cooked add the carrots and the dressing and cook for a further two
minutes. Add the noodles and mix well.
8. Chop the mint & basil leaves.
9. Scatter the mint and basil leaves and top with the chopped cashews or peanuts and
crispy onions and a few slices of the red chilli.